Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Bleh!

About 30% done with the Halloween game.  In other words, I'm not going to make it.  Sigh.  I like the design, but it's taking longer than expected to debug all the code and making sure the inner workings are correct.  I'll revisit this for next year's Halloween.

On some plus side, while doing some inner work on the Halloween game, I figured out how to implement something I wanted in Seraphim's Javelin for the very beginning.  Some details after the jump.

SJ is a 3 stat system.  Force being the most combat focus.  Since you can still fail skill checks that avoid combat, Force becomes important even if you get other stats.  If you focus on Force, you don't have to worry about the skill checks unless you're worried about "other" penalties.  Regardless this puts a high demand on Force.

Because of that, I wanted some decent combat options for the other stats.  For Agility, I wanted a combo system, where you chain attacks over multiple turns.

Setting up the combo system proved surprisingly difficult with the combat engine in SJ.  The more I thought about it, the more I had to change or add to implement the feature.  And in turn, the more it broke parts of the rest of the engine.

But I think I found a solution.  Need to try it out and see if I'm right.

2 comments:

  1. good luck! and dont worry too much about meeting the halloween deadline. If it's for that competition Chaos is running, hardly any of the titles will actually be complete games, if any at all. So just get down what you can and enter anyways, you never know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the update! I'm not sure anyone would complain if we got a halloween themed game after halloween. I'm not married to the calendar. That being said, I am anxious to see what you've been doing with SJ. I've had my eye on this game for a long time. I'm glad you're still at it!

    ReplyDelete