Sunday, May 19, 2019

Game Engine: Rags vs Twine vs ???

I've been looking more into recent games and it seems like Rags fell out of favor.  Twine/HTML seems to be the new king.  From what I could tell from a cursory glance, Twine has a lot of new features/macros that people made.  Combine that with some of the experimentation I did with Javascript in Rags, Twine is starting to look a bit better for what I could do computationally.

That said, how do people feel about Rags nowadays?  Do you just prefer Twine?  Or is there another engine I should be looking at?

4 comments:

  1. personally, I like RAGs but I'm old school. I'll play both so it's not a deal breaker but I'm comfortable with rags and appreciate how it keeps gameplay consistent. There are too many variables in twine that can make a game feel wonky and hard to get into if not properly handled. That's my 2 cents. Do what you think you can do well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think support for RAGS has pretty much ended, so Ren'Py or Twine would seem to be the more future-proof options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's still a significant group of us that still are faithful to Rags- even if the platform itself is no longer being improved. It harkens back to the good ol' days and games utilizing it are welcomed!

    There was recently a vibrant thread of 'Rags Remembrance' over at Hypnopics-collective.net . People may not be making many games with it any more but it's still beloved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's been two years. Anyone here?

    ReplyDelete