Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Update: 8/10

Still technically sick.  I have an occasional cough, but everything else is good.  I'm basically 99% fine, but still 1% sick.  And that 1% isn't going away easily.

Anyways, I've been working more on SJ.  Spent some time pic hunting for rooms.  As usual, this is a bit difficult.  Need to find a better source for them.

Design wise, I did run into a roadblock.  Fortunately I worked out the cause.  It's because there's two different ways I could visualize [something] and I've been flipping back and forth between the two options.  The roadblock is because I needed to pick one.  So regardless of which option I pick, I'll need to retrofit and re-design a room or two.  Both options has some nice aspects I really like, so I'm still hoping I can find a way to blend the two.

6 comments:

  1. What kind of rooms? If you need photographs of particular rooms, maybe someone can take them for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly streets, hallways, entrances to buildings, and interiors of buildings.

      Delete
    2. Any particular type of building, architectural style or geographical location?

      Delete
    3. More general than a specific thing. It's only specific for whatever I'm working on. When I was working on Beth, it was campus pics. When I was working on Christmas Carolyn, it was a corporate building.

      Delete
    4. You could get a few from the "York, day and night" album linked on Hypnopics a while back:
      http://s300.photobucket.com/user/Sableagle/library/York
      That was explicitly available for not-for-profit game dev use. There are a few streets in Buenos Aires in the first pages of another album there:
      http://s300.photobucket.com/user/Sableagle/library/Torres%20del%20Paine%20Nov%202015
      Today's moment of inspiration: find a show home at a new development and photograph that. In looking for show homes, I hit on a rich seam of photographs for you to mine, as long as you don't mind all your pictures being of very clean rooms:
      rightmove.co.uk
      Almost every property listed has multiple internal photographs with no watermarks. Search for the kind of property you want to use as the setting, browse through for a good picture, screenshot your browser, paste the screenshot into GIMP and crop the image.
      Thousands of images right there. So generous of them!

      Delete
  2. it's been over a month since your last post and well over a year since your last game update on SJ, are things going well? Any plans to release anything in the near future? How's things on the illness front? Hope youre feeling better and inspired!

    ReplyDelete